Reference Guidelines for Students

You may be required to provide the contact details of someone from Newman University to write a reference for a work placement, voluntary position, part-time job, graduate job or a place on a postgraduate course. Usually this will be an academic member of staff that will be able to comment on your suitability for the position or course.

If you require a reference from a member of staff, it is essential that you follow any formal procedures set out by your school/individual subject area, or professional service area.

Please note there is no statutory duty to provide anyone with a reference. However it is established practice and part of the role of a tutor to provide academic references for students. If a member of staff is uncomfortable, unable or unwilling to provide a reference due to a valid reason, they will inform the student/graduate immediately, giving clear reasons for refusing, so that they can make alternative arrangements.

If you require a factual reference to simply confirms date of attendance, course studied and award/classification obtained (if applicable) current student can request a confirmation letter on the student page of my Newman. There is a box to tick for letter requests. Graduates may contact the registry department directly and request a letter:

Please read our Requesting a Reference - Statement for Students to ensure you understand how reference requests work and what is required from you in order to obtain one. - The UK's official graduate careers website.

Prospects Vacancies -


pdf  Requesting a Reference - Statement for Students
Last updated: 10 March 2017

Share this page share

Facebook Email