Minimum computer requirements for students studying online at Newman University.
Please note that our recommended specification for IT equipment may change as industry standards change and we adopt new technologies.
In academic year 2013-2014 the standard computer platform on campus at Newman is a computer running Microsoft Windows 7 operating system with Microsoft Office 2010. The default browser is Microsoft Internet Explorer 10.
We suggest that students studying online with their own computer have the following:
- A PC or Mac with broadband access to the Internet.
- The latest version of Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox or Safari (These can be downloaded free). Newman uses Microsoft Outlook for email and while you do not have to use Microsoft Internet Explorer as your browser, it does ensure full functionality. Some people use IE for Outlook but another browser for other websites.
- A word processing application. (e.g. Microsoft Word or the free Open Office Writer – http://www.openoffice.org/)
- A Microphone.
- Headphones or speakers.
- A media player (e.g. Windows Media Player or VLC Media Player (free) http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
- An antivirus program (If you need a free one - AVG: http://www.avg.com)
- Minimum hardware specs: as a rule of thumb any computer less than five years old should be fine and many older ones will still be acceptable. We do not specify minimum hardware requirements in terms of processor, RAM or disk space. If your computer can browse the internet and play multimedia files it should be fine.
Please note also:
- Students may be required to upgrade their systems over the course of their studies, especially if they defer their studies at any point.
- Students are responsible for all computer communication charges.
- Students studying Media and I.T. should check with their subject areas to see if any special software is required.
Students are supported via an IT Help Desk and an online Help Forum.
If you have any concerns, please contact:
Position: Head of E-Learning
Tel: 0121 476 1181 (Ext. 2425)