"There are clearly very good relationships with schools and effective mentoring and tutoring is provided."
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Newman is committed to the development of the school workforce and provides continuing professional development (CPD) for teachers and lecturers at all levels, support staff, governors and other professionals engaged in education.
Our CPD offer includes:
- National professional recognition for teachers, lecturers, support staff, governors and other professionals engaged in education via the Teaching and Learning Academy
- Masters level study/research within the key educational themes of learning and teaching, leadership and management, mentoring and coaching, special educational needs, inclusion and diversity
- Accrediting prior experiential learning towards masters level credits (e.g. from National College for Teaching and Leadership programmes)
- Doctoral level study
- Consultancy in a range of key educational themes and curriculum areas
We have a strong track record of working with partner schools and education-related establishments on commissioned research and evaluation projects. As well as undertaking research for individual institutions and partnerships, the Faculty of Education also provide training and support as part of school initiated capacity building for research. Teacher/practitioner-research is an area that we continue to develop, as is the involvement of children and young people as participants in their educational experience. Our aim is to both consolidate and advance teacher-pupil research for school and educational improvement and we welcome any new educational partners in the endeavour.
Newman works with early years settings, primary, secondary and middle schools, and other non-formal education providers to support our students on work placement; both those working towards qualified teacher status (QTS) or those pursuing an interest in education. Newman students bring new ideas, energy and enthusiasm to schools, reduce pupil/adult ratios and enable teachers to reflect on their own practice. In return, you will be supporting the next generation of teachers and have access to a pool of high quality trainees about to enter the job market.
Services to schools
Newman’s Education Liaison team strive to raise and enhance students’ knowledge of higher education and the opportunities that studying at university can offer them. The team provides a free service to institutions across the UK - supporting teachers, careers advisors, parents, carers and students through the transition into higher education. This includes presentations to year 11, 12 and 13 students on topics such as;
- The benefits of higher education
- Choosing what and where to study
- Student finance and budgeting
- Student life
- Personal statement master classes/the UCAS application process
- What Newman has to offer
- Routes into teaching
- Mock interviews
- Subject specific talks - Newman offers a range of progression routes so talks can be tailored to students studying at a variety of levels
In addition to this we can also provide on-site taster sessions in a range of subjects.
Higher Education Conference
Newman hosts an annual conference aimed at those providing advice and support to students. Held at Newman the conference focuses on issues relating to education and involves workshops and presentations from influential contacts within higher education. The day provides an opportunity to talk to colleagues in similar roles and utilise the expertise of Newman staff.
For more details contact the Education Liaison team and find out what we have to offer.
CPD further Information