Information not covered by the publication scheme
From 1 January 2005 you have the right, under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, to request any information held by the University which it has not already made available through its publication scheme. We have tried to include as much information as possible in the publication scheme.
Requests will have to be made in writing and, in general, the University will have 20 working days to respond. The University may charge a fee (see the FOI Charging Policy for more information). The University will not be required to release information to which an exemption in the Act legitimately applies. The FOI Act sets out a series of exemptions to protect confidential or other information where disclosure may prejudice the interests of the State or of third parties. Where we invoke these provisions to withhold information, the University will be required to explain to you why it is not releasing information and it may have to justify this to the Information Commissioner.
The University will not publish:
- Information about living individuals (including, but not limited to, members of staff, students or research subjects) as the processing of this data is covered by the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Information that might jeopardize the health and safety of staff, students or the public.
- Information that might prejudice the University's commercial interests.
- Information that would prejudice the prevention or detection of crime or the prosecution of offenders.
- Information concerning legal proceedings or investigations being carried out by the University that might lead to criminal or civil proceedings.
- Information held under obligation of confidentiality.
- Information that is published elsewhere or that is intended for publication at a later date (e.g. draft versions of documents, information subject to amendment or approval by the appropriate University body).
The information included in the publication scheme generally represents the most recent approved version available. The scheme is not retrospective.
Applications for information not covered in the publication scheme should be in writing and should provide as much detail as possible to enable us to identify the information sought. Please include the following details:
- Your name and address, which is required in case hard copy documentation needs to be mailed to you. Please also consider informing us of your email address or telephone number in case there is a query relating to your request and we need to contact you quickly.
- The information or documents you would like to access. Your request should be clear and specific. If we are unsure as to what you are asking for, we will attempt to contact you to gain clarification. Your request will not be processed until we are clear as to what information you are asking for.
- The way you would like the information to be sent to you (for example, as a hard copy, via e-mail or on a computer disk).
For full details on making a written request, please contact:
Position: Registrar and University Secretary
Tel: 0121 476 1181 (Ext. 2210)
View staff profile