MODULE TITLE : RESEARCH METHODS IN CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY
MODULE CODE : PY701
- MODULE SUMMARY
- CONTACT HOURS
- MODULE CURRICULUM LED OUTCOMES
- LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- METHOD OF ASSESSMENT
MODULE SUMMARY :
This module aims to orientate students to the kinds of issues and concerns found within psychological research methods. Students’ knowledge of research methods from their undergraduate studies will be consolidated and expanded and they will be encouraged to consider clinical applications of this knowledge. To equip students with the skills necessary to carry out empirical research, they will be given exercises to develop their awareness of ethical issues and they will be provided with data sets to analyse and interpret using appropriate research techniques. Finally, students will design a research proposal which will incorporate an in depth literature review and they will be encouraged to focus this upon the broad area within which they may eventually wish to focus their dissertation.
CONTACT HOURS :
MODULE CURRICULUM LED OUTCOMES :
This module aims to:
- Further develop students’ knowledge of the breadth of research methods used in psychological research.
- Make students aware of the legal and ethical issues associated with clinical research.
- Further develop students’ ability to manipulate and interpret data sets using statistical packages.
- Give students the opportunity to design a research proposal incorporating an in depth literature review on a particular topic within clinical psychology.
LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES :
Students will, by the end of the module, have the opportunity to:
- Demonstrate an analytical understanding and advanced knowledge of the breadth of research methods used in psychological research
- Demonstrate a sound and critical knowledge and understanding of statistics and/or qualitative data used in psychological research
- Demonstrate knowledge of the conventions surrounding production of a research proposal and literature review
- Demonstrate a critical and self-reflective awareness of the ethical issues in clinical research where appropriate
- Demonstrate ability to write a research proposal with an in depth literature review
- Demonstrate a sound knowledge of the common skills and competencies and a critical and self-reflective awareness of the ethical issues raised by research
- Demonstrate the ability to identify appropriate statistical tests, carry them out using SPSS, and interpret the output.
METHOD OF ASSESSMENT :
Component 1 - 60% Research Proposal (4000 words)
Component 2 - 40% Research Portfolio (2500 words)