History at Newman is one of the most successful areas in terms of academic research. There is a strong research ethic within the team, who consistently produce internationally recognised publications. Expertise within the subject team covers a number of areas, from the social history of the West Midlands to late Victorian political culture; from the Ancient Greek world to Revolutionary and Napoleonic France. All academic staff are very active in their fields, attending national and international conferences and publishing in peer reviewed journals. We have published with, and have contracts for forthcoming monographs with Ashgate, I.B. Tauris, Oxford University Press and Phillimore.
The History team have a proven track record in supporting postgraduate students. Our supervision teams are interdisciplinary and work closely with other research institutions.
- The First and Second World Wars
- Victorian politics and political culture
- The history of the West Midlands; political, social and cultural
- The French Revolution and Napoleonic empire
- History of wine
- Early modern England
- Ancient Greek cultural history
- History of religion and magic.
Members of the research team