Guidance on completing the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) form
Please find below some advice on completing the enclosed Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) form. Before you complete the application please read carefully the guidance notes on the front of the DBS form.
- The DBS form should be completed in black ink. If you make a mistake, put a line through it and write the correction clearly to the right and as close to the original mistake as possible. Do not use correction fluid.
- Sections A, B, C (if applicable), and E should be completed. Do not complete Section D ‘apply for registration with the ISA’.
- In Section A, you should include your full legal name. Do not use other names, such as nicknames, shortened forms, or omit middle names.
- Any previous addresses, for the past five years, must be entered in Section C and continued onto a continuation sheet if necessary. For applicants who have already been students, addresses must include previous university/college addresses together with the dates when you were in residence and when you were living at home. If you have been travelling abroad and have been ‘on the road’ for a period of time, you must give the most appropriate postal address for that period.
- Where female students declare their title to be ‘Mrs’ or ‘Ms’, the DBS expects to see a previous surname given in Section A. If you have not changed your name on marriage, please state so on a separate piece of paper.
Once you have completed the form, please return it to Admissions at Newman University, together with the following forms of identification:
- Your passport or driving licence (driving licence must be photo card together with paper counterpart, this includes provisional licences)
- Your original birth certificate (issued within 12 months of your date of birth)
- Recent proof of your current address (for instance, a utility bill or bank statement - documents must be dated within the last three months).
- If your surname has changed please provide evidence of this (for instance, a marriage certificate or change of name deed)
The original documents must be supplied. If you are not able to provide these documents, please contact us, as certain alternative evidence may be acceptable (also see the direct.gov website for further guidance).
The cost of the DBS disclosure is £50 (including processing fee). you can pay for your DBS disclosure through Newman's on-line store
Please bring the completed forms and documents to Registry at Newman University. This will enable us to check and return the documents to you immediately. The opening hours of Registry are:
- Monday to Thursday: 9.00am – 5.00pm
- Fridays: 9.00am – 4.30pm
If it is not possible for you to visit Registry, please send the form and documents by Special Delivery clearly marked FAO: Registry Support Team and enclose a Special Delivery envelope to enable us to return your documents safely to you. The University does not accept any responsibility for the loss or damage incurred to the documents sent through the post.
If you have any queries, please contact Registry Support on 0121 476 1181 extensions 2647 or 2642, or email: email@example.com