The Physical Education and Sports Studies subject area is among the most active and successful research groups at Newman University. There is a strong research ethos within the subject area with a highly committed team of early career and more experienced researchers. All staff are encouraged and supported to pursue research in line with the institutional strategy.
The scholarly work of this enthusiastic research team involves a range of topics related to physical education and sports studies. In recent years, this research has resulted in a range of outcomes including publications in peer-reviewed journals, chapters in edited books and presentations at international conferences. The research group has established collaborative research initiatives with academics from other universities, Local Authorities, businesses, and national governing bodies of sport.
- Children’s lifestyle and health habits
- Physical exertion and sports performance
- Psycho physiological aspects of sports performance
- Obesity and health behaviours of young people and adults
- Curricular issues in teacher education in PE
- Social and built environmental correlates, exercise and well-being
- Physical activity, ethnicity, gender and socio-economic background
- Evaluation and service redesign.