What we do
Newman University's IT Services department aims to ensure the availability and ease of use of the University computer network and all other technical teaching and learning resources for Newman University staff and students. We are responsible for all hardware and software procurement, installation, support, and maintenance. We aim to provide a friendly, professional and easy-to-use technical support service for all users of the network. The IT Helpdesk is based in the Hub (above the Sanctuary). This is the first place to contact if you have any technical issues during your time at Newman.
What IT facilities are available?
Students have free access to the Newman network. The majority of networked PCs are Intel Pentium Quad core devices. They are connected via high-speed optical fibres to our servers. We provide students and staff with access to a variety of applications, e-mail, the Internet, and other subject-specific specialist software. A range of packages are available, including Microsoft applications. We also have a centralised printing system, DVD-ROM facilities, scanners, digital cameras, CD writers, interactive whiteboards and interfaces for micro-electronic control technology. We have a growing number of lectures being captured using our Panopto service; this is available on request through our Panopto technician.
Open access labs
The open access labs are open during normal University hours and also during the evenings, depending upon the security arrangements (these times can be obtained from the Security Lodge).
What can IT help with?
The IT Helpdesk can:
- Help with any printing issues.
- Issue student ID cards.
- Replace lost or stolen ID cards. A £5 fee is payable for this unless you can provide a crime reference number.
- Help to resolve door access problems.
- Issue you with computer log-on details.
- Deal with any password problems or Newman email account issues.
- Sell USB memory sticks, CDs, DVDs, and plastic pockets.
- Recover lost or corrupt files to the best of our ability.
- Fix computer hardware and software problems on your personal machines to best of our ability. A £5 fee is payable for this.
- Help to connect laptops, tablets, and phones to the internet.
The IT Helpdesk offers support via telephone (0121 483 2293) and email (email@example.com).
The opening hours are:
Monday to Thursday 8:30am – 5:00pm
Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm.