Disabled Students Allowance – How to Apply

Disabled Students Allowance – How to Apply

newman globe lit up

What sort of evidence will you need to provide?

Students with a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia will need to provide a copy of a recent full diagnostic assessment report by a qualified practitioner, carried out after the age of 16. If your last assessment was carried out whilst under 16 you will need to get a further assessment carried out as an adult. For current students, we can assist you in arranging a full diagnostic assessment.

Students with disabilities or mental health issues or health conditions will need to provide medical evidence such as a letter from your Consultant or GP, or using the evidence form which can be downloaded from the DSA website.

Please note, in order to establish eligibility of entitlement to DSA, SFE will require your evidence to demonstrate that you meet the definition of ‘disability’ under the Equality Act 2010.  “A long term physical or mental health issue which has a substantial detrimental effect on every day activities”.  Please make sure that the evidence you submit to SFE contains not only a diagnosis but details of how your condition impacts you on a day to day basis. If SFE are unable to establish eligibility from the evidence you supply, they may ask you to provide additional information.

How to apply for DSA

Step 1
You will need to complete a DSA 1 application form and send it to Student Finance England with evidence of your medical condition/disability or a copy of your diagnostic assessment report (for students with dyslexia).  Forms to apply for Disabled Students Allowance are available from the GOV.UK website.  Full time undergraduate students who have applied for Student finance need the Short version of the form. All other applicants will need the FULL version and will need to ask someone from Student Support Services to complete the relevant section of the form confirming you have a place.

Step 2
Once Student Finance England has confirmed your eligibility for DSAs, they will then ask you to have a DSA needs assessment carried out so that the help you need on your course can be identified and arranged. (If you need help in contacting a needs assessor, please contact the Student Support Help Desk.) The needs assessor will then make recommendations to Student Finance England for funding for particular equipment, software, and other support.

Step 3
Following your DSA needs assessment, Student Finance England will let you know the level of help you can have from DSAs.

Step 4
If your application is successful, Student Finance England  will send you a DSA 2 letter confirming what assistance has been funded and which providers to contact for your equipment and for any Non-medical help.  You will need to contact the equipment company and make an appointment for the equipment to be delivered to you and installed.   If you are funded for personal support by an external provider, you will need to contact this provider direct.

If you are funded for a Specialist Mentor, Specialist Study Skills tutor, or Communication Support Worker through Newman University, this will be arranged by the Inclusion Co-ordinator.

 If you need any help in contacting your provider to make the appropriate arrangements,  please contact Student Support.

Need more information?

For further information on how to apply for DSA please contact:

Rachael Hawkins (Disability and Inclusion Manager) if you are a student with a physical or sensory impairment or long term medical condition.

Becky Hartland-Fox (Dyslexia Adviser) if you are a student with dyslexia or other specific learning difficulties.

Simone Moon, Mental Health Adviser, if you have mental health issues, e.g. depression, anxiety or other mental ill health.

Student Support Help desk: studentsupport@newman.ac.uk

Was this article helpful?