Back to “Student Welfare Adviser”

Last Updated: October 31st 2023

Autumn campus shot

Are full time students exempt from paying council tax?

If you are a full time student you could be exempt from paying council tax if you live in a property on your own or you live in a property solely with other full time students.

If you live in a property where all of the residents except one other adult is not a student you may be entitled to a 25% discount on your council tax.

Part time students are not eligible for a council tax exemption.

How do I get a council tax exemption letter?

Once you have enrolled at Newman you can request a council tax exemption letter by logging onto My Newman > student > request letter > council tax exemption letter.

Your local authority may also require you to complete an ‘application for council tax reduction’ form. Please check your local authority website for further details.

Can students get help with healthcare costs?

Full time students who are under the age of 19 are automatically entitled to help with health costs. Full time Students aged 19 and over can apply to the NHS low income scheme using form HC1 to see if they qualify for any help towards costs.  HC1 forms are available within the student services department and from the Student Welfare Adviser; alternatively you can download and print of a HC1 form here.

Is there any financial support available for students who are experiencing financial hardship?

Newman University’s Support Fund can provide financial assistance for home students experiencing hardship. For further information on the Support Fund please speak to a member of the finance team or the Welfare Adviser.

How do I find out about student travel discounts?

National Express West Midlands contains information for all travel by bus and coach in the West Midlands, including bus pass information such as the Student Travel card.

If you plan to travel on the train frequently you may want to invest in a young person’s railcard, which gives you 1/3 off your fares, see details here.

Can I claim housing benefit as a full-time student?

There are certain groups of students who are able to claim housing benefit throughout the year, namely lone parents and disabled students in receipt of personal independence payment. For advice on claiming housing or any other welfare benefit, please contact the Welfare Adviser, Tammy Oyekanmi.

I am currently in receipt of benefits; do I need to inform the benefits department that I have become a student?

Yesif you are a full time student, in receipt of student finance you will need to inform the benefits department of your student status and they will require evidence of this along with details of your student finance award so that they can reassess your claim.

Do I need a TV license if I’m living in halls?

Please see details here

Should I register with a doctor or dentist?

If you are living away from home in halls of residence you should register with a local GP surgery. The closest surgery to Newman is Jiggins Lane; you can find more information about how to register at the surgery here. You can find details of local dentists here.

My student loan hasn’t arrived yet, what should I do?

Usually, you’ll be paid a few days after you have registered at university. However, if you applied late your payment may be delayed. You can check your payment schedule on your online account by logging in here. Your online account will also show copies of all letters that have been sent to you and any notifications of missing evidence.  If you have not returned the evidence requested by SFE your payments may be delayed.

Was this article helpful?