Hearing Loss

Hearing Loss

Please let us know as soon as possible if you have a preferred method of communication such as lip reading or require a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter. If you have communication support needs we will try to make whatever arrangements you need to enable you to full participate in your studies. Subject to funding, through Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) or Access to Work (for people on Employer Based Programmes), the following services may be available to D/deaf students and those with hearing loss.

  • Specialist note taking
  • Lip speakers
  • BSL interpreters
  • Teacher for the deaf or Language support
  • Radio microphone to supplement hearing aids

Other reasonable adjustments

  • Video/DVD material with subtitles. A lot of more recent material on DVD comes with the option of subtitles. There are some subject materials in the library in DVD format with subtitles. Please speak to your module tutor, subject librarian, or the EBITT team (for students on employer based ITE programmes), if you need further materials with subtitles.
  • Hearing loops are installed in 9 teaching rooms on campus, which includes the chapel. Please let us know of your needs before you come, so that we can try and schedule your teaching in a room with a hearing loop if required.
  • If you are in accommodation, please speak to Karen Carter if you need a ‘deaf alert’.

Useful Links
www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk (formerly RNID)

Was this article helpful?