Applying for a DBS
If you already have an enhanced DBS certificate and if you are paying the annual update service subscription of £13 you may not need to complete a DBS through Newman University. Please bring the certificate to Registry Operations at Newman to be seen and recorded. If it is not possible for you to visit Newman, please send the DBS certificate by Special Delivery clearly marked FAO: DBS Administrator, Registry and enclose a Special Delivery envelope to enable us to return it safely to you.
Applying for a DBS
- Payment is made through Newman University’s online store. The DBS application costs £61.
- An application for a DBS check is done through the following website: newman.onlinedisclosures.co.uk. Due to current University closure and social distancing guidelines all applications must be done through Post Office verification.
- Once on this screen you will need to create your own log in. To do this click Register on the right hand side of the screen
- You will then need to enter your full name and email address, along with an organisation pin before clicking Next step.
- You will need to request the organisation pin once you have paid. To request your Post Office pin please contact Registry@newman.ac.uk.
- Once you have clicked Next step you will be taken to step 2 of online registration. Here you will be asked to enter a secret word and create your own password. The secret word is Newman. Once step 2 has been completed click complete registration.
- Once you have completed registration you will be able to complete the DBS online application form.
- A full step-by-step applicant guide can be found to the right of the sign in page.
- When completing your DBS application you will be asked what documents you wish to use to verify your identity. When sufficient ID has been selected a green bar will appear at the top of the application.
- ID must be original, copies can’t be accepted.
Receiving your certificate
- Once you have submitted your application and your identity has been verified, the application will then be forwarded to the DBS.
- Within the next few weeks a DBS certificate will be sent through the post to your current address. Newman University will also be provided with confirmation that the check has been completed.
- Newman University will not need to see your DBS certificate unless there are offences recorded on the DBS.
Offences revealed by DBS
If there are offences recorded on your certificate you will need to bring it to the Registry Office. The University is required to look carefully at any offences recorded on a DBS disclosure before admitting students to professional programmes such as teacher training or before placing other students in an environment with children or vulnerable adults.
Alongside your DBS disclosure, you are asked to submit a letter of explanation to the University about the offence(s), giving full details of what occurred, why you committed the offence and the full circumstances. An explanation should be given for each offence. It is important that you realise that the University will not admit/place you until the DBS disclosure has been cleared. The letter of explanation should be provided in a sealed envelope for the attention of the University Secretary and Registrar and marked ‘confidential’. The letter should be brought to the Registry Office along with your DBS certificate.
If you have any queries please contact the Registry Support Team:
Phone: 0121 476 1181 extensions: 2624, 2647 or 2311.