This course provides subject knowledge support for prospective trainees who will start an PGCE Secondary Computing course in September 2021. This course will provide support for trainees who need to either improve or refresh their programming skills in both visual and text-based programming languages and knowledge, understanding and application of computing concepts and principles.
Why should I take the course?
- Provides you with the opportunity to acquire sufficient Computing to teach it to Key Stages 3 and 4 in a secondary school
- Allows you to manage your study time to suit you and your commitments
- Enables you to start your postgraduate teacher training course on a secure subject knowledge footing
- Improves your chances of employment
Who can apply?
Holders of a conditional offer for a secondary Computing teacher training course starting September 2021, from a recognised teacher training provider and who are:
- UK graduates with a single honours in either computer science or information technology; a combined honours of a computing related subject and another subject or
- UK graduates with either a single honours or joint honours in a non computing subject or
- European and non-European graduates with a degree in informatics or similar.
When does the course run?
- 12-week course in Mathematics start week beginning early May 2021
- 8-week course in Mathematics start week beginning early June 2021
How much will the course cost?
There are no course fees to pay to the university for those who have been accepted on to a teacher training course.
You may be eligible to receive a bursary. The amount of the bursary is currently £175 per week prior to starting your ITT course. Bursaries are only available for students starting a SKE course providing they meet the following criteria:
- Applicant has accepted a place on an ITT programme starting September 2021 in a qualifying subject i.e. English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Computing.
- Applicants have a minimum degree classification of 2:2.
N.B. A SKE bursary can only be claimed for one SKE course within the academic year.
Application for bursaries is initiated once enrolled onto the course.
How to apply
When the dates have been published and the links below are live, you will be able to follow the appropriate link below to complete the application form. If you are unsure which link to follow please contact the Course Leader.
Contact for further information:
Alethe Bailey, Course Leader
T: 0121 476 1181 ext. 2333