The course provides subject knowledge support for those wishing to teach Biology, Chemistry or Physics. Courses are particularly useful to those whose degree background is not biology, chemistry or physics. There is an expectation that students would have studied the subject at A level or equivalent. The course has a high proportion of practical based sessions.
Why should I take the course?
- It provides you with the opportunity to strengthen your knowledge of Biology, Chemistry or Physics in preparation for teaching it to Key Stage 3, 4 and Post-16
- It enables you to start your postgraduate teacher training course where it is a requirement set by the training provider
- It improves your chances of employment
Who can apply?
Holders of a conditional offer for a secondary Science with Biology, Chemistry or Physics teacher training course starting September 2020, from a recognised teacher training provider and who are:
- UK and European graduates with a single honours or a combined Honours in a science based degree
- Have a subject specific A level, or equivalent, in the sciences
When do the courses run?
- 12-week Sustain courses in Biology, Chemistry and Physics start week beginning early June 2020. The first 8 weeks of the course are full time until July 2020 and the remaining 4 weeks are part time in parallel with the PGCE training course at Newman.
- 8-week Refresh courses in Biology, Chemistry and Physics start week beginning early June 2020.
- How much will the course cost?
There are currently no course fees to pay to the university, for those who have been accepted on to a teacher training course.
You may be eligible to receive a bursary. The amount of the bursary is currently £200 per week prior to starting your ITT course. Bursaries are only available for students starting a SKE course providing they meet the following criteria:
- Applicant has accepted a place on an ITT programme starting September 2020 in a qualifying subject i.e. English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Computing.
- Applicants have a minimum degree classification of 2:2.
N.B. A SKE bursary can only be claimed for one SKE course within the academic year.
How to apply
When the dates have been published and the links below are live, you will be able to follow the appropriate link below to complete the application form. If you are unsure which link to follow please contact the Course Leader.
Biology 8 week Refresh
Biology 12 week Sustain
Chemistry 8 week Refresh
Chemistry 12 week Sustain
Physics 8 week Refresh
Physics 12 week Sustain
Contact for further information:
Faculty of Education
T: 0121 476 1181 ext. 6443