The course provides subject knowledge support for those wishing to teach Biology or Chemistry. Courses are particularly useful to those whose degree background is not Biology or Chemistry. There is an expectation that students would have studied the subject at A level or equivalent. The course has a high proportion of practical based sessions.
Why should I take the course?
- It provides you with the opportunity to strengthen your knowledge of Biology or Chemistry in preparation for teaching it to Key Stage 3, 4 and Post-16
- It enables you to start your postgraduate teacher training course where it is a requirement set by the training provider
- It improves your chances of employment
Who can apply?
Holders of a conditional offer for a secondary Science with Biology or Chemistry teacher training course starting September 2021, from a recognised teacher training provider and who are:
- UK and European graduates with a single honours or a combined Honours in a science based degree
- Have a subject specific A level, or equivalent, in the sciences
When does the course run?
- 12-week course in Mathematics start week beginning early May 2021
- 8-week course in Mathematics start week beginning early June 2021
There are currently no course fees to pay to the university, for those who have been accepted on to a teacher training course.
You may be eligible to receive a bursary. The amount of the bursary is currently £175 per week prior to starting your ITT course. Bursaries are only available for students starting a SKE course providing they meet the following criteria:
- Applicant has accepted a place on an ITT programme starting September 2021 in a qualifying subject i.e. English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Computing.
- Applicants have a minimum degree classification of 2:2.
N.B. A SKE bursary can only be claimed for one SKE course within the academic year.
How to apply
When the dates have been published and the links below are live, you will be able to follow the appropriate link below to complete the application form. If you are unsure which link to follow please contact the Course Leader.
Contact for further information:
Faculty of Education
T: 0121 476 1181 ext. 6443