This course provides subject knowledge support for prospective trainees who will start an ITE course in September 2021. This course will provide support for trainees who need to either improve or refresh their English skills. This course aligns to the requirements outlined in the English Subject Knowledge Audit.
Why should I take the course?
- Provides you with the opportunity to acquire sufficient English to teach it to Key Stages 3 and 4 in a secondary school
- Allows you to manage your study time to suit you and your commitments
- Enables you to start your postgraduate teacher training course on a secure subject knowledge footing
- Improves your chances of employment
Who can apply?
Holders of a conditional offer for a secondary English teacher training course starting September 2021, from a recognised teacher training provider and who are:
- UK graduates with a single or combined honours degree in English
- European and non-European graduates with a degree in English or similar.
When does the course run?
- 12-week course in Mathematics start week beginning early May 2021
- 8-week course in Mathematics start week beginning early June 2021
How much will the course cost?
- There are no course fees to pay to the university for those who have been accepted on to a teacher training course.
You may be eligible to receive a bursary. The amount of the bursary is currently £175 per week prior to starting your ITT course. Bursaries are only available for students starting a SKE course providing they meet the following criteria:
- Applicant has accepted a place on an ITT programme starting September 2021 in a qualifying subject i.e. English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Computing.
- Applicants have a minimum degree classification of 2:2.
N.B. A SKE bursary can only be claimed for one SKE course within the academic year.
How to apply
When the dates have been published and the links below are live, you will be able to follow the appropriate link below to complete the application form. If you are unsure which link to follow please contact the Course Leader.