The links below provide an overview of the government and private funding, including scholarships, which is available for UK and EU nationality students.

The government describes students in this category as ‘Home’ students. To be classed as a ‘Home’ student you must be settled within the UK, i.e. have no restrictions on your leave to remain and have been resident in the UK throughout the preceding three years. If you are a refugee or an EEA migrant worker, you may not have to lived in the UK for this length of time.

All Saints Educational Trust 
The All Saints Educational Trust makes personal grant awards to teachers, intending teachers and students in Religious Studies, Home Economics and related areas.

Arts and Humanities Research Council
Awards are available for Master’s and PhD study in Archaeology, Art, History (not Economic and Social History), some Architecture, Classics, English, Law Linguistics, Modern Languages, Music Philosophy and Theology.

Department for Agriculture and Rural Development
Agriculture and food-production (and closely related subjects such as veterinary science).

Funds for Women Graduates (FfWG)
FfWG offers Foundation Grants to help women graduates with their living expenses (not fees) while registered for study or research. Funding is not available for undergraduates.

Sir Ernest Cassel Educational Trust 
The Trust provides grants for overseas students from the Commonwealth, who are in their final year at a university in the United Kingdom and who are facing unforeseen financial difficulties. These grants are the Mountbatten Memorial Grants.

Commonwealth Foundation: Bursaries and Grants
Bursaries are available for short-term study, refresher courses, advisory visits and training.  Grants are available for attendance at Conferences, workshops and seminars.  The applicant must be a professional with the relevant academic qualifications, and must be a commonwealth citizen.

Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
Applicants must be a citizen of a commonwealth country who is about to complete an undergraduate degree or who has completed the undergraduate degree in the last 5 years.  Scholarships are awarded for higher degrees, though the candidate must have been accepted by the host institution.

Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
Social science areas such as economics, politics, human geography, psychology, sociology, anthropology, social history, education and housing management.

Educational Grants Advisory Service
The Service offers advice to students on grants available for all academic disciplines.  To find out whether you may be eligible for a Family Action grant, you can complete an on-line form.

Gilchrist Educational Trust
Applications are considered from students who are at the last stages of a degree course and are facing unexpected financial difficulties, which might prevent its completion.

The States of Guernsey Education Department 
The Department has a limited number of awards only open to residents of Guernsey.

The Isle of Man Department of Education
The Department has a limited number of awards only open to residents of the Isle of Man.

States of Jersey Department for Education 
The Department has a limited number of awards only open to residents of Jersey.

The Leverhulme Trust
The Trust has provided funding for research projects, fellowships, studentships, bursaries and prizes; it operates across all the academic disciplines, the ambition being to support talented individuals as they realise their personal vision in research and professional training.

Lutheran World Federation
The Federation offers awards for studies in theology and other disciplines by members of Lutheran churches throughout the world.

Association of Medical Research Charities
Produce an excellent booklet guide to research funding available from small medical charities, which sometimes include individual research studentships for specific projects and small grants.

Medical Research Council (MRC)
Medicine and Bio-medical areas such as pharmacology, dentistry, medicine and biochemistry.

Mercers’ Charitable Foundation 
The Foundation sponsors individuals to research nationally and internationally in the field of education.

Natural Environmental Research Council (NERC)
NERC fund around 1,100 PhD students each year. Studentships are funded through university departments and NERC research centres.

Sidney Perry Foundation
PO Box 2924
SN7 7YJOffer educational grants, primarily to anyone including prisoners or ex offenders, who are studying for a first degree. This is a maximum of £700, to supplement other funding.

Student Awards Agency for Scotland 
Students may receive support for certain full-time vocational courses, mostly at diploma level. It does not support all postgraduate courses.

Wellcome Trust
A charitable trust connected with the pharmaceutical multinational Wellcome Plc. which provides support for research in biomedical sciences and the history of medicine, including clinical medicine, tropical medicine and veterinary science. Studentships and some smaller grants and awards available.

Student Finance England
For information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit
their website or contact 0800 100 900.