MODULE TITLE : INTRODUCTORY CERTIFICATE IN COUNSELLING
MODULE CODE : CO400
- MODULE SUMMARY
- CONTACT HOURS
- MODULE CURRICULUM LED OUTCOMES
- LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- METHOD OF ASSESSMENT
MODULE SUMMARY :
This module is intended to introduce the subject of counselling and begin to help students develop their competence in the use of counselling skills. Elements of core therapeutic approaches will be introduced, (including Humanistic, Cognitive-Behavioural and Psychodynamic) with links to how these relate to skills and counselling interventions.
CONTACT HOURS :
MODULE CURRICULUM LED OUTCOMES :
This module aims to:
- Give students a sound knowledge of the basic concepts of counselling and counselling skills
- Give students the opportunity to apply their knowledge of basic concepts to practice and critique the counselling relationship
- Enable students to gain a critical awareness of counselling and psychotherapy models
LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES :
Students will, by the end of the module, have the opportunity to:
- Have an awareness of the manner in which competing perspectives construct different views of the self and client and their presenting issues.
- Identify concepts and techniques from different counselling approaches studied in their assessment of client material and the presenting situation.
- Demonstrate basic awareness of key differences between different models of counselling and psychotherapy.
- Demonstrate counselling skills in a short counselling session with another student.
- Be able to critically reflect upon their performance and the counseling relationship including reflections on their own process.
METHOD OF ASSESSMENT :
Component 1 - % Pass/Fail Element - Learning Statement (500 words)
Component 2 - % Pass/Fail Element - Recording of Counselling Session (20 minutes)
Component 3 - 100% Critical Commentary (10 minute transcript & critical commentary, 2000 words)