Disability and Mental Health Services: Non-medical helper (NMH) support services

Disability and Mental Health Services: Non-medical helper (NMH) support services

Autumn campus shot

Newman University is able to provide a high quality, student centred NMH service to our own students funded through Disabled Student Allowance (DSA).  All our support workers are highly experienced and have been undertaking these roles for a number of years.  All  meet the NMH provider qualification requirements.

Where students are unable to access DSA funding we can signpost you to other services which should be able to assist you, for example, our Academic Development tutors; Welfare Adviser; or Student Counsellor.

NMH Services available to our students

The following services are normally available through Newman University, to DSA funded students, subject to Newman University being selected by SFE as the preferred provider:

Specialist 1:1 Study Skills (e.g. Dyslexia and other Specific Learning Difficulties)

Specialist 1:1 Study Skills (AS) (For students with Autism or Asperger’s)

Specialist mentors (Mental health and Autism)

How to access a support worker

In order to be allocated a specialist support worker, you need to make an application to Student Finance England (SFE) for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

 Confirmation of funding

You should receive a confirmation letter (DSA 2) from SFE stating what they will fund and who will supply it, together with telephone numbers for you to contact the supplier/provider.  Suppliers/Providers are currently allocated on the basis of the cheapest quote for the service, and rates are changing all the time, so we cannot guarantee that your support will be provided through Newman University.

If your DSA 2 letter states that Newman University is the provider of your NMH support please call us on the telephone number provided and we will endeavour to put your support in place for you as quickly as possible.

If your DSA 2 letter states that another provider has been allocated to provide your NMH support, you will need to contact that provider using the telephone number provided.

If you wish to change to a different provider than the one allocated, you can do so by contacting SFE direct, but if the alternative provider is more expensive SFE may ask you to pay the difference in cost.

Newman University as the provider of NMH services

Depending on your particular needs someone from Student Support services will contact you to make an appointment . This will normally be:

For dyslexia support: Rebecca Hartland-Fox

Induction and allocation

Induction will involve going through your Study Needs Assessment report to identify how the university will support you, discussing your particular needs and your timetable in order to identify the most suitable support worker. We will also ask you to complete a Consent to Share form so that the necessary information about reasonable adjustments and arrangements can be shared with the people concerned.  We will explain how our services work, e.g. what to expect, how to cancel booked sessions.  We will also ask you to sign a Learning Support Agreement which will record these details.

Change of tutors

We try to allocate a NMH support worker suitable to your needs. If you find this isn’t working for you and you are not happy with the arrangements made, please discuss this in the first instance with your Student Support contact:

Rebecca Hartland-Fox (dyslexia)

Discontinuing support through Newman University

If you wish to discontinue support with a Newman University Dyslexia tutor or other specialist support worker provided through Newman, you must notify Heather,  Rebecca  or Lynne (depending on service provided) by email. Newman University Student Support services must notify the funding body within 10 working days if you wish to terminate your support.

Requests for additional hours

You are funded through SFE for a specific number of support hours per academic year.  If you feel that this is not sufficient for you and you believe you would benefit from additional hours you must contact your Study Needs Assessor explaining why you think you need this. Please also speak to Heather, Rebecca or Lynne, who will also make a supporting case, where appropriate, to your Assessor.


Please note there are strict protocols relating to cancellation of a booked session.  If you are unable to attend a booked session you must provide at least 24 hours’ notice to cancel the session.  It is recognised that there may be occasions when you are unable to attend a session at short notice, due to unforeseen circumstances such as illness, or a family emergency, but DSA funding will not cover more than two missed sessions per term.

Student Support services will keep a record of all cancelled sessions and contact you if a booked session is missed more than once a term.

Complaints about provision of a dyslexia tutor, Specialist mentors, Specialist 1:1 Study Skills tutors (AS) or other Specialist support worker.

If you are not happy with the service provided please raise your concerns in accordance with the complaints and concerns protocol. Complaints document available at the foot of this page.

Exceptional Cases protocol

This applies where Newman University has been unable to provide you with the type of Non-Medical support or reasonable adjustments you feel you need, for example a note taker or practical support.

In the first instance you will need to go through Newman’s complaints processes as outlined in the attached protocol.  Newman University has introduced a fast track process to enable your case to be heard within 28 days.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the complaints process, in these circumstances, you may apply to the SFE exceptional cases process.

If you are still not satisfied with your NMH support, having gone through the exceptional cases process, you may make a complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator.

Article Attachments

Was this article helpful?

  1. Home
  2. Help & Advice
  3. Student Support
  4. Disability and Mental Health Service
  5. DSA and other financial assistance
  6. Disability and Mental Health Services: Non-medical helper (NMH) support services