Newman University has an enviable reputation for the quality of its Initial Teacher Education programmes at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. Our experienced tutors and good relationships with schools throughout the West Midlands ensure high quality education.
The latest OFSTED inspection highlighted the following key strengths of the secondary initial teacher education courses at Newman:
- The good attainment and progress of most trainees
- Trainees’ confidence in using a broad range of teaching strategies to engage learners
- Trainees’ well developed understanding of their role in supporting the development of the whole child
- Effective partnerships that ensure all elements of training combine well to support trainees’ progress.
With over 50 years’ experience of training teacher to be excellent classroom practitioners and future leaders, Newman offers a range of innovative courses which are aligned with the government’s Core Content Framework to meet the requirements of Qualified Teacher Status. All our teacher education programmes enable students to meet the Teachers’ Standards and become imaginative, inspiring teachers, ready and able to make a difference to the lives of the children they teach.
All PGCE routes at Newman will provide two opportunities, either:
- A Professional Graduate Certificate of Education which will prepare applicants for teaching and offers full QTS, or
- A Postgraduate Certificate of Education which will include 60 credits at Masters level and full QTS.
The latter option will be offered to applicants with an outstanding academic record or significant relevant experience. There will be an opportunity to discuss the details of the programmes and the work required for the Masters level route at your interview. Applicants should clearly state in their personal statement whether they want to apply for the professional or postgraduate course.
Please be aware that placements may be 1 hour and/or approximately 40 miles radius.
- PGCE Secondary Computing (QTS)
- PGCE Secondary English (QTS)
- PGCE Secondary Geography (QTS)
- PGCE Secondary History (QTS)
- PGCE Secondary Mathematics (QTS)
- PGCE Secondary Physical Education (QTS)
- PGCE Secondary Religious Education (QTS)
- PGCE Secondary Science – Biology (QTS)
- PGCE Secondary Science – Chemistry(QTS)
- PGCE Secondary Science – Physics (QTS)
- Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses
Newman University automatically administers payment of the PGCE / School Direct Training bursary on behalf of the Department for Education to all eligible students, you do not need to apply to receive the bursary.
During the enrolment process you will be asked to provide your nominated bank account details to enable payment of the bursary to be made.
You can read the Privacy Notice for ITT Training Bursary or ITT Training Scholarship Award Applications to find out more about how your personal data is processed in relation to the bursaries.