* How to Apply – An Overview

Back to “How to Apply”

Last Updated: June 17th 2019

female student on laptop

If you would like to transfer to Newman University or top-up your foundation degree to a full Honours degree, part time study, you can apply using the application form at the bottom of the page. If you are interested to transfer or top up to full time study you’ll need to apply through UCAS (www.ucas.com).   Newman has experience of supporting transition from a foundation degree or BTEC HND to an honours degree through the HEAD+Sup programme and can give you advice and support before you start the course.

  • For courses that may interview students, your personal statement can make the difference between being invited for interview or rejected.
  • For courses that do not interview students, your personal statement is crucial in determining whether or not you are offered a place.

If you do not include important information about all your academic qualifications, skills and abilities (related to the course applied for) on the application form, your application may not be as strong as others, and therefore may not be successful.

Contact for all Admission and Enrolment Enquiries
Telephone: 0121 476 1181
E-mail: admissions@newman.ac.uk

Full-time Undergraduate and Foundation Degree Courses

You need to complete your application to Newman on-line via the Universities and Colleges Admissions Systems (UCAS) website. UCAS opens for applications in September each year. The normal closing date for the receipt of applications is the following January. Late applications are accepted by Newman University via UCAS throughout the remainder of the application cycle and through the Clearing period  (July/August) prior to September enrolment. The ‘APPLY NOW’ button on course pages for full-time routes will take you directly to the corresponding course page on UCAS.
N.B. Places are subject to availability and early application is recommended.

Part-time Students

If you wish to join a part-time course offered by Newman University, you can apply on line from the course page.  The ‘APPLY NOW’ button is at the top of the right hand column on the course page.  Where there is not an APPLY NOW button you should complete the application form below, sending copies of your existing academic qualifications and list those due to be completed by August. If you have any queries regarding the course or the admissions process, please email admissions@newman.ac.uk

Part-time Foundation Degrees

Newman recognises the variety of previous qualifications and experience. Applicants would normally be expected to have GCSE or equivalent qualifications and/or relevant work experience. If you wish to join a part time Foundation Degree offered by Newman University, please download and complete an application form (at base of this page), including details of your existing academic qualifications (or those due to be completed by August). You will also need to include two references (from referees who know you academically or professionally). A sample reference form can be found below. If you have any queries regarding the course or the admissions process, please email admissions@newman.ac.uk.

PGCE and School Direct

Further information con be found on individual course page within the Newman website or via the Newman University GOV.UK pages. Applications should be made online through UCAS Teacher Training, where registration or a log-in is required.   You can apply for up to 3 courses, either PGCE or School Direct, or a combination of both.  There is no closing date for applications, but courses close when all places are filled, so you are advised to apply as soon as possible.   UCAS provide useful information on what your application should include.  The get into teaching facebook page also has lots of information and tips on applying for a postgraduate teacher training course.  If you are applying for School Direct you will need to apply to the lead school, please note this may not be the school will train in. All applications to PGCE teaching programmes must be supported by two references; at least one of which should be from someone in a suitable position of seniority (for example, your line manager, headteacher or department lead) who can comment upon your capacity to demonstrate the professionalism required to teach.

Taught Higher Degrees

Normally a good first degree is required and a demonstrable interest/experience in the area to be studied. If you wish to join a taught higher degree offered by Newman University, please download and complete an application form, including details of your existing academic qualifications (or those due to be completed by August 2019) and outlining your motivation for applying for your chosen course. You will also need to include two references (one of which must be able to verify your academic credentials). A sample reference form can be found below.

Postgraduate Research Degrees

Newman’s postgraduate research students work towards MPhil or PhD degrees that are awarded by the University of Leicester. For more information about research opportunities, please contact Professor Máirtín Mac an Ghaill  on 0121 476 1181 ext 2601, or e-mail: M.Mac-an-Ghaill@newman.ac.uk or visit our Research Higher Degrees page.

Deferred Entry

We are willing to receive applications from students wishing to take a year out before starting their course. However, if this is not stated on your UCAS form, you should let Admissions know as soon as possible after receiving an offer of a place. Demand for places on all courses is high and early notification from any student who does not intend to register for 2019 entry is highly appreciated.

Applications from Students aged 21 and Over

Newman University welcomes applications from those wishing to enter as a mature student. If you do not possess the normal entry qualifications, it is advisable to contact the University for information and advice at an early stage. Some students prefer to add to their existing GCSE, CSE and A level passes in order to secure admissions. In some cases, professional qualifications may count towards the entry requirement. Individual advice is usually needed to determine this. Access courses at Colleges of Further Education are particularly suitable for those who lack the normal qualifications to enter Higher Education.

Further Information for Applicants with Additional Needs

When you tick the box on your UCAS form or Newman online application form, to indicate you have an impairment, physical or mental health condition, or specific learning difficulty, you will be sent a questionnaire asking about any arrangements which you need in order to enable you to fully participate in University life.

In Higher Education, any specialist equipment, software, or human support you may need is funded through Disabled Students Allowance (DSA). Further information on DSA is available on the GOV.UK website (www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas) or please see our leaflets which provide information about the sorts of arrangements which may be available for you at Newman University, and how to apply for DSA.

Top-up Courses and Transfers

View our Transfers, Top-ups, Recognition Of Prior Certificated Learning (RPcL) and Prior Experiential Learning (RPeL) Policy

Do You Have a Previous Degree?

Applicants who have been awarded a degree previously may be affected by the Equivalent and Lower Qualifications (ELQ) Policy. Please see the Fees and Finance section for further information.


Contact for all Admission and Enrolment Enquiries

Telephone: 0121 476 1181

E-mail: admissions@newman.ac.uk

Fax: 0121 483 2206



Article Attachments

Was this article helpful?

We use cookies to track visits to our website and to deliver targeted messages about the University to users. We do not store personal details. For more information or to change your cookie settings, see our Cookie Policy more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.