Student Parents

Student Parents

Back to “Student Welfare Adviser”

Last Updated: March 15th 2024

Many students combine their studies at university with having a family. Whether you already have a child or are about to become a parent, here at Newman we are committed to supporting students who are parents.

This page will provide you with information regarding the support available to student parents.


If you have children under 15, you may be eligible for up to 85% of your actual childcare costs throughout the whole year for more information please see the Childcare Grant information page.

Childcare Options

If you would like information and advice about your childcare options, including details of available nurseries, childminders and pre-school groups please visit Birmingham City Council’s childcare directory where you can search for providers in your local area, or local to Newman.


Here’s an overview of the financial assistance that may be available to you as a student parent.

Piggy BankStudent Finance England

In addition to your student loan student parents are eligible to apply for the additional grants below:

Childcare Grant – This allows you to claim back 85% of your childcare costs for children under 15. Because it is a grant it is non repayable, unlike your student loan.

Parents Learning Allowance – This is an additional non-repayable grant and you can get between £50 and £1,963 for the 2024/25 academic year. How much you receive is dependent upon your household income

Independent status – If you have a child you are automatically considered as an ‘independent student’. This means that your parent’s income won’t affect the loans and grant you get, no matter how old you are or if you are living with them.

State Benefits

Most students don’t qualify for benefits, however if you are responsible for a child, you may be able to continue to claim some benefits alongside your student loan income.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit that has replaced:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income support
  • Housing benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit.

You may qualify for Universal Credit while studying if you are responsible for a child or qualifying young person. Your student loan funding reduces your Universal Credit award during the academic year, even if you decide not to take out the Maintenance Loan. Find out more about Universal Credit and students income

Claiming Universal Credit can be complicated so we advise that you contact our Student Welfare Advisor before making a claim or to check that your award has been correctly calculated.

Child Benefit 

As a parent you may be able to claim Child Benefit. You can check the eligibility rules for getting Child Benefit on the website. Currently, only income over £50,000 may affect a Child Benefit claim due to the Child Benefit Tax Charge. Income from Child Benefit will not affect any government Student Finance you receive.

Other sources of funding

If you are experiencing financial hardship while studying at Newman, you may be eligible for a grant through the Newman University Support Fund which is administered through the University’s Finance Office. The Newman University Support Fund can provide discretionary assistance towards the cost of studying such as living costs or course related costs such as childcare, travel and books.

Personal Support

Juggling the responsibility of having a family and studying full-time can be tiring at times and place demands on your physical and emotional wellbeing, so it is important that you look after yourself and your family.

Newman offers a range of services to help students who may be struggling with personal, practical or emotional issues.

Mental Health Advisor

Many students experience mental health difficulties whilst studying and we are here to provide information, advice and support. The Mental Health Advisor can:

  • Help you to explore your current situation
  • Advise you about internal or external support as appropriate
  • Discuss coping strategies for common mental health difficulties
  • Refer to a counselling service (after an initial assessment)
  • Discuss individual arrangements to help you complete your studies effectively

To make an appointment with our Mental Health Advisor

Welfare Adviser   

The Welfare adviser can provide advice and guidance on a wide range of issues including welfare benefits, financial difficulties, budgeting and dealing with debt. They can also advise you on housing issues and any personal issues including pregnancy, sexual health, domestic or sexual violence and forced marriage concerns.

For more information and advice about support available for student parents please contact the Welfare Adviser.

Facilities on Campus

Specific facilities for nursing mothers to feed or express (and store) milk are available in the Welfare Room, students can request a key for the Welfare Room from the security lodge. In addition a student is able to feed their baby in any public area on campus. Baby changing facilities are available in the Atrium Ground Zero accessible toilet.

Was this article helpful?