Newman University welcomes requests for research visits from individual scholars based outside of the United Kingdom who are interested in pursuing research and making links with the University in the fields of Education, English, History, Psychology, Sports Studies, Theology, and others that correspond with the University’s research interests.
Prospective Visiting Scholars may request to join Newman for a period of normally up to one year. During their stay they are attached to a research group or an individual that shares their research interests, but do not register for a formal academic qualification.
Prospective Visiting Scholars are encouraged to attend and participate in the academic activities of the University. All activities are conducted in English and prospective Visiting Scholars should therefore have a good command of written and spoken English.
Visiting Scholars are usually asked to present a paper about their research at one of the regular Staff Research Seminars during their time at Newman.
Costs and Entitlements
Visiting Scholars are expected to be self-funding, as there is no remuneration available from Newman University. In addition, there may be services that would normally be charged for, depending primarily on the length of the visit.
During their stay Visiting Scholars will receive:
- Newman University ID card
- Use of the Library and computing facilities
- Desk space within the University and use of research facilities (please note that sole use of a desktop computer cannot be guaranteed)
- Opportunities to discuss research with members of staff
- Advice on preparing papers for publication
- Attendance at all open seminars and public lectures
- Residential accommodation on the University campus is very limited and prospective Visiting Scholars should not rely on its availability. However, the University can provide help and advice in finding alternative local accommodation.
Visiting Scholars are expected to make their own arrangements regarding visas/work permits, travel, insurance and health/vaccinations.
Requests for Research Visits and Further Information
Requests for research visits can be submitted at any time of the year and should be made using the Request for Research Visit Form available below. This must be accompanied by a full CV and written confirmation from the appropriate person at the prospective Visiting Scholar’s institution that the visit has been approved. The completed Request for Research Visit Form and all associated documentation and information must be supplied in hard copy.
Prospective Visiting Scholars are also encouraged to contact members of staff in the University to seek their support before making a formal request. This will help ensure that the proposed area of research coincides with current research interests and expertise within Newman University.
Completed requests should be sent to:
Professor Peter Childs
Birmingham B32 3NT
Request for Research Visit Form