Training bursary award and eligibility
For 2023 to 2024, we are offering bursaries of:
- £27,000 in chemistry, computing, mathematics and physics
- £25,000 in geography and languages (including ancient languages)
- £20,000 in biology and design and technology
- £15,000 in English
Applicants may be eligible for a bursary if they have a 1st, 2:1, 2:2, PhD or master’s.
We are offering scholarships of:
- £29,000 in chemistry, computing, mathematics and physics
- £27,000 in French, German and Spanish (no other languages)
Scholarships are usually available to applicants with a 1st, 2:1, master’s or PhD, though in exceptional circumstances they may be awarded to a graduate with a 2:2 and significant relevant experience.
Scholarships also come with a package of additional benefits from the relevant scholarship body:
- tax free scholarship
- membership to the professional body
- subject specialist events and webinars held by professional bodies
- online and face-to-face workshops across the country
- subject specialist mentors and coaching
- community of scholars (ex-scholars, teachers, subject leaders)
- access to classroom resources
- continuing professional development (CPD) and networking events during ITT year and alumni
Scholarships are applied for separately to ITT and only awarded to high calibre students who pass a robust application and interview process in one of the specialist subject areas. Scholarships are awarded instead of a bursary.
Scholarship applicants should apply to the relevant scholarship body. Details are available on Get Into Teaching.
Further guidance on postgraduate bursaries and scholarships is available in the initial teacher training (ITT) bursary: funding manual.
Other bursaries and scholarships
Undergraduates may be eligible for a bursary of £9,000 if:
- they’re studying a QTS course in secondary mathematics or physics
- they’re studying an opt-in QTS course in secondary undergraduate mathematics, physics, computing or languages
- their course starts in the academic year 2023 to 2024
They will receive the bursary in the final year of their course.
Troops to Teachers undergraduate bursary
A training bursary worth £40,000 is available for undergraduate veterans who have left full-time employment from the:
- British Army
- Royal Air Force
- Royal Navy
Find out more here.