Domestic Abuse

Domestic Abuse

Back to “Student Welfare Adviser”

Last Updated: August 11th 2021

What is Domestic Abuse?

Women’s Aid defines domestic abuse  as ‘an incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening, degrading and violent behaviour, including sexual violence, in the majority of cases by a partner or ex-partner, but also by a family member or carer’.  Anybody can experience domestic abuse, but nobody should.

Domestic abuse can include:

  • Coercive control (a pattern of intimidation, degradation, isolation and control with the use or threat of physical or sexual violence)
  • Physical abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Financial abuse
  • Psychological and/or emotional abuse
  • Harassment
  • Stalking
  • Online or digital abuse
  • Family violence such as forced marriage and ‘honour crimes’

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse help is available.

Where to get help?

Always call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger, or if a crime is in progress.

Here at Newman you may wish to speak to a Counsellor  for emotional support or to a Welfare Adviser who can discuss support options with you and help with practical issues.  You can make an appointment to see a Counsellor or Welfare Adviser by emailing

There are many organisations within the West Midlands and nationally who can help if you or someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse.

Local Support Agencies

Birmingham & Solihull


Black Country

National support agencies that can help

Was this article helpful?